Chosen for the excellent farmland, clear running streams and abundant woodlands and game, the village of Mechanicstown prospered and grew in the shadow of Catoctin Mountain. The late 1800’s saw many changes in our town including the arrival of the Western Maryland Railway and the Hagerstown and Frederick Rail Road. To accommodate the Western Maryland Railway the name of the town was changed so as not to be confused with similarly named communities on the line. After some debate the name Thurmont was adopted in 1874.
The Western Maryland brought additional prosperity to the Thurmont area by providing inexpensive transportation for passengers and freight. Many of the large homes in Thurmont were built as hotels and summer vacation homes. These fine buildings can be seen through out Thurmont. Farming also benefited and many of the large family farms remain today.
Thurmont has a long industrial history including the manufacture of some of the first self striking matches in the Americas. As with many small communities there were many mills, tanneries and assorted businesses. Recent industry included printing, shoe manufacturing, clothing and most recently the manufacture of housing.